Whenever I plan to cook something special in vegetarian dish, the first dish which strikes to my mind is Palak Paneer. This dish always reminds me of my days before marriage when we used to go out for food. After having a look at the menu we would always end up ordering Palak Paneer. So friends I am presenting my version of Palak Paneer, which not only looks lovely but tastes wonderful. I hope readers will try this dish and give me their feedback.
Spinach 1 bunch
Paneer/Cottage cheese cubes 15-20
Onion big, chopped 1 no
(Cut them into two parts)
Garlic cloves, chopped 4 no
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Cumin Powder 1 tsp
Garam Masala (Optional) 1 tsp
Capsicum, chopped 2 tbsp
Butter/Oil 2 tbsp
Ginger small 1 inch
Green chilies 3 no.s or to taste
Tomato small 2 no.s
Salt to taste
Capsicum chopped 1 tsp
Grated Paneer 1 cube
Cream (Optional) 1 tsp or to taste
- Boil the spinach in a boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain with cold water.
- Heat the oil/butter in a pan and fry the onions and garlic until the raw smell fades away.
- Blend the blanched spinach , onion, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes to a smooth puree.
- Cut the paneer into small pieces and fry in oil until golden brown
- Remove and drain on absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- In the same pan fry the second half of onions till they turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and turmeric powder and fry again for a little time.
- Add one tsp of finely chopped capsicum. Capsicum adds special flavor to the gravy.
- Add coriander power, Cumin powder .
- Add the spinach puree and bring it to a boil then add a pinch of Garam Masala.
- Water can be added by checking the consistency of the gravy.
- Now add the fried paneer into the gravy and cook not more than one or two minutes.
For Serving :
- Once the gravy is ready heat the pan add little butter.
- Add ½ tsp of jeera and allow it to tamper.
- Add small pieces of Capsicum and small amount of mashed paneer ( one cube approx)
- After few minutes of sautéing put the ingredients on the gravy.
- Palak paneer is ready to eat. Can be served with chapati and rice
- Tofu can be replaced with Paneer.
- In order to retain the green color of the gravy do not over boil the Spinach ( Just two to three minutes maximum) That’s the reason I am putting parboiled Palak in cold water.